Thursday, December 27, 2007

January 20, 2009

Today the Supreme Court's pick for President flew to his Texas ranch because he just can't quite wrack up enough vacation time.

Poor guy needs some R & R. All that language strangulation must be taxing.

While en route to Crawford, he signed a couple of bills. First, he tackled the 10 billion dollars Congress demanded for those fussy constituents back home. For pet projects, silly things like infrastructure. Roads and electricity, that sort of thing. Bridges.

Remember that inconvenient bridge collapse? The one right around my Minnesotan corner?

And in a released statement, our guy scolded that naughty Congress for their wanton ways:

"I am disappointed in the way the Congress compiled this legislation . . . These projects are not funded through a merit-based process and provide a vehicle for wasteful government spending."

Then he signed a bill approving 70 billion dollars for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Whew! Good thing he was on his way to the ranch for some R & R. Just releasing that grammatically correct statement must've been super stressful! Sorta like nailing that slippery nuclear thing or knowing how to pronounce the names of his presidential peers.

But he sure makes that war trick look easy.

Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton knew that the Republicans had the deal sealed on war spending: they didn't even leave the campaign trail to vote against it. And even though I am one of the people counting the days until someone new takes office, I wonder how long, how hard, it will be for anyone to fully pull back the brake and stop this train.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I read your post on Blogger being a big gnome cusing you trouble. That was funny. But I personally think you must be right! I'm looking through my Blogging for Dummies right now for the care and bribing of gnomes!

Karen Jensen said...

I know what you mean. I am eager for a regime change, myself, but I'm afraid that there isn't a way to make the significant changes we really need--no matter who is in charge.

Anonymous said...

Ugh... my sentiments exactly. I can't wait to see how they fumble this Pakistan/Bhutto assassination. *sigh*