Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Goosebumps

Although the Matron does not routinely attend caucuses, her fair foot has crossed those doors upon occasion. She is accustomed to driving right up to the building and being feted. Caucus nights tended toward the leisurely and loose end, a time to catch up with the other four neighbors and eat a cookie.

Last night, the Matron thought she made a serious Driving Error. Her car could not move. Headlights littered the horizon. There was honking and fervor. She of delicate constitution was forced to park her car six blocks away and walk to the high school.

Inside, no one heralded the Matron's arrival because a tremendous throng of people simply sucked her up. Slurp. One of a crowd. Long lines prevailed--and those were just to find out to which room one was supposed to struggle.

The Matron found her room, duly cast her vote and smiled all the way home --where she was met with yet one more sweet treat: Stryker, at the laptop, aflutter over caucus results.

Finally, she was feted! And by her own 11-year old son, who probed for Detail of all things political and adult. As the results rolled in on TV, Stryker earned a significant trophy on the "Matronly Wall of Good Will You've Just Banked Against the Next Screw-Up" by watching Barack Obama's South Carolina caucus speech on YouTube--all 16 minutes.

Then, this morning the Matron learned that her caucus site--a riotous place--was not unique in her fair state. The record for Democratic caucus attendance sat way back when in the sixties and at 58,000. Predictions had tip-toed toward 100,000 for last night.

Readers, over 200,000 hot-blooded, politically-aroused Democratic Minnesotans went a-caucusing last night. Our friends on the other team didn't do so shabby, either. Republicans came out in double the predicted numbers, counting in around 60,000.

The Matron, who enjoys political fervor very much and likes to think that she is always fighting the good fight, is proud of her Minnesotan ilk this day -- on both teams. She smiles, still.

16 comments:

Melanie said...

Here in Idaho, I arrived at my county caucus location an hour early, only to discover a line of THOUSANDS snaking around two city blocks. Statewide turnout was quadruple that for 2004's Democratic caucus.

As I stood in the cold for an hour, freezing my ass off, my heart was pretty warm.

Anonymous said...

me too! It was great to see so many people. I wrote "OBAMA" on a scrap of paper and put it in an envelope that a man held out for me and as I left the building I felt more attached to "voting" than I ever had before!

Anonymous said...

As a Canadian, I am watching these primaries with great interest. I long for that excitement, that fervour that's propelling the young, but it's only the same drabness here, played over and over. Sadly, no charismatic appeal of a Black-Canadian, or the experience female politician.

I tend to view politics with quiet disdain, but now, seem caught up in the fervour happening in the States.

Exciting times, however ephemeral they may prove to be.

Anonymous said...

Go neighbor, go! Isn't it lovely to see the apathy fade and people taking some power? Perhaps we think it IS time for the revolution...

Liv said...

I'm so happy that the states have performed so well! And to be able to get out and make change felt so good.

Yolanda said...

So glad you voted . Stay warm and safe with all that snow your getting.

Mrs. G. said...

Wow. This just fills me with pride and restores my faith in the political process. And thank you for pointing out that both Democrats and Republicans were jazzed.

And the matron is raising another invested future voter...good work, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish I'd been in Minnesota yesterday! Would love to have been among the inspired throng. I've been smitten by Obama since that speech in 2004 at the dem convention. The more I learn about him, the more convinced I am that he would be great for America!

No doubt WHY the voters are crazed this year!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, hurray, hoorah, hooray!

Crystal Gable said...

I think it's great that so many people are finally getting involved (I'm one of them).

P.S. I tagged you for a meme on my blog.

Minnesota Matron said...

Oh my -- a meme! Performance anxiety overcomes. Thanks for the wonderful words, friends. It's nice to finally feel good about politics, isn't it?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It is exciting. My son gets to vote for president the first time ever this year, and what a great election it will be.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

You all need more polling places! That's craziness!

Karen Jensen said...

Woo Hoo! I always get a little choked up about the election process.

Mary Alice said...

I have a friend who moved to Iowa a couple years ago. When she described in glowing detail her first caucus experience, I was sooo excited by it, I wanted to move just so I could caucus. What a living breathing beautiful democratic process.

Karen said...

This is how is should be EVERY election--we should all feel the excitement!