Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Matron's Super Bowl Sunday

Morning

Me (in the spirit of Participation): "Do you guys want to buy special snacks and watch the Super Bowl tonight?"

Hey--spending money and watching television! What a good American I'd be.

Stryker: "Not really."

Scarlett: "What's the Super Bowl?"

Stryker: "The world's biggest baseball game."

We are so tapped into the cultural pulse.

Afternoon

The children and I spent most of the day at my mother's house. Much commentary on that tomorrow. For now, suffice it to say I was treated to driving, cooking, and parenting lessons, nonstop.

On the ride home, I tried to reach John--on three different telephone lines--for nearly an hour.
Utterly exasperated, I tossed up my hands: "Why doesn't Daddy ever answer his phone!"

Stryker: "He's probably seeing someone else."

This is quickly disproved (I checked when John finally answered).

Me: "Stryker. There is no other woman."

Stryker shrugs: "Not yet"

He's eleven. Doesn't my future loom, exhausting?

Evening

We attend a Super Bowl party where most of the guests struggle to place a team with a color: "Who are the blue guys?" "What's a 'down'?"

The guest list? The hosts are Syrian, another family Palestinian, a third Israeli Jews and then the Matron and her bunch. Politics or football: which do you think we batted about?

On the way home, Scarlett said: "Who won?"

Stryker: "New Jersey, stupid."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. That Stryker is going to go far in this world ;o). Great post!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

He better not let a Giants fan hear him say that--he'll end up in a field at the Meadowlands!

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you watched it! Mine never answers the phone either. Too much blowing stuff up in the army followed by punk rock shows.

Karen said...

I haven't visited in a couple of days, and look at all the gems waiting--you are such a funny writer! It's a gift, knowing exactly what to include, and what to leave out.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there is another family out there, as sporty as us!
DC

Anonymous said...

That's funny stuff. You should tell him before he goes out for the day that New York won, just so he can save face in public...

Suburban Correspondent said...

Cool guest list - I'm glad no one got hurt.

Angie said...

I'm still giggling and wiping my eyes as I'm typing this......"not yet" in reference to another woman - hilarious.

Oh, to live somewhere a little closer to all that culture - it is my one true regret of where we are.

Sounds like it was a great day.

Yolanda said...

Loved this post. Too funny. STay warm up in the frozen north this week.