Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Mistake She Made

When the Matron was a Wee Miss, she spent several summer weeks in giddy anticipation of Brownie Camp. Wee Miss was new to the world of Girl Scouts and was a prime candidate for a badge of any sort, so organized, efficient and ambitious was she.

Wee Miss was not just attending Brownie Camp. She would reign.

So imagine her complete and total psychological collapse when this exchange took place:

Wee Miss: "Mama! It says on the calendar that today is Thursday! And the date is July 23. Is that true?!"

Mama: "Why yes."

Wee Miss: "BROWNIE CAMP STARTED ON MONDAY! I missed Brownie Camp!"

Silence.

Wee Miss: "How could you forget Brownie Camp!!! How could you!!"

Mama: "Mary, honey, I am so sorry."

Now, Wee Miss was fundamentally altered at that moment. How indeed? She had been prancing about in Brownie Camp cloud all summer, tossing Brownie Camp glitter and painting Brownie Camp dreams.

But her mother forgot the very thing that was most precious to the Wee Miss. Her dream. Worse, her mother knew about the dream. Watched it dance and plot every day. It was impossible to overlook.

Wee Miss picked up this little black ball of pain, sorry and rage and swallowed it whole. She nurtured that ball. Took it out and shined it up from time to time. As she grew, Young Miss picked up the burden. She felt that ball growing and rolling, in the pit of the belly for years.

Until one day Aging Miss realized --- there was no money. Her mother hadn't forgotten. Wee Miss talked about Brownie Camp every single day. That was the year at the cusp of food stamps and welfare, the lost father. Her mother had nothing--no food stamps, no money, no husband, no job, and no money for Brownie Camp.

She felt sorry for her mother, that very young single mother who struggled so hard to build a life for her three young children that she pretty much abandoned her own. And, the Matron saw herself, again, in a new light, how sometimes our grievances operate more like self-inflicted wounds.

Last week, the Matron returned to this moment and her personal journey because of this phone conversation:

M: "Hello, Great River Montessori Charter Public School! I'm calling to see where Stryker is on the waiting list for Junior High. The letter we got said he was #37 in February. Hopefully, he's much higher now."

Long ominous silence.

GR: "He's not on the waiting list."

M (alarm!! alarm!!): "What! Of course he is!! We filled out our application on time! You know me! We've been to that school, inspecting, thirty million times! His heart is set on it!"

GR: "Mary, you read the letter but we never received your confirmation form. If you read all the way down on the letter, you would see that you were to fill out a form accepting the spot on the waiting list and return this to us. We never got yours. We're way past 37. He would've been in."

Silence. Because the Matron is crying (an activity she continued just a little bit once the phone call was over, too). She saw that '37' and read no more. She chucked that letter.

Stryker is now #19 on the list but has been informed that the list does not move that much over the summer. He's enrolled at two other junior high schools.

But his heart? His dream? His fondest desire? Great River.

This, my real-life and online friends, is a private mama-venting post. For the moment, the Matron is not offering to Stryker that she has made this mistake. If he asks or questions his position on the list, she will tell him. But she's not introducing the topic.

She hates to think of her son shining his own black ball into something permanent.

Mistakes, anyone?

The Matron's is still bringing her great, great mama pain.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Matron
If it's meant for him to go - it WILL happen...and I have a good feeling about that - I can just imagine the stories....
Plus you are a pretty determined sort of gal, with education connections - so now is a good time to network!

Is their any card you could play? I know a mother locally who played the race card when she forgot to enter her son for the entrance exam - he missed the exam - which was massively oversubscribed anyway....and guess where he is now?!!! The fact that he looks as white as the next boy appeared to be missed by the schools radar!
I know this is sneaky - but if you could avoid that black ball....

....personally I've let mine down plenty - missed drama exam by 24 hours, missed parents evening twice -so believe it's not just you!
x

Madge said...

I think it's time to rally the on-line troops and send some of that good energy your way.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

The troops are ready, sending the vibes.

And as for mistakes, I've made too many to name, just now.

I tend to think, much later, something good still came from the twist and turns. It helps me cope.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Oh damn. I'm a "skimmer" myself. I wonder what I've missed?

Magpie said...

Oh, hon. Lots of luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Nothing at all like that kind of guilt hanging over your own head.

{{hugs}} babe. I know the feeling. Too many evenings "on the road" to make clarinet concert, The Pirates of Penzance, etc. It sucks. Truly.

Heather said...

Oh man, that stinks. But yeah, I'm fairly certain that every parent has AT LEAST one big oops.

Mrs. G. said...

OK, you are a better woman than me. I would totally lie FOREVER. Mistakes? Many. I can't list them because I'm pretty sure that my daughter reads your blog.

Honestly, let it go. It will work out. It always does. Even when it doesn't. Does that make sense?

Bonnie said...

MM - don't let this eat at you. Not to be all whoo whoo - but perhaps it happened for a reason? Perhaps he will absolutely LOVE his next school?
I effed up big time last summer. Sent the little Dude to a two week sleep-over camp. He was so incredibly homesick that he is now having major anxiety issues and won't sleep over at friends. (much less go back to camp).
You see I had this dream that he would go to camp, make BFFs for life and have the best time evha! (I did after all!).
Whoops. :(

Suburban Correspondent said...

I'm with mrs. g - too many mistakes to list, most of them known only to me. Gotta let them go. Just know you have lots of company!

Jennifer S said...

I once missed a letter about a violent threat against my children's elementary school (it was threatened for a specific day). Sent my kids to school, never knowing. Only about half of the students showed up that day. Nothing bad happened, but I didn't even know something was going on until I picked them up from school.

I cried a lot that day.

Even if he doesn't get into that school for this next year, it doesn't mean other, different things won't happen for him.

But, yes, I agree with Mrs. G. Never, ever tell.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There was the time I forgot my second-graders citizen of the month ceremony (I was gardening and when I drove by the school en-route to get more plants I realized there was an unusual amount of activity at the school). I ran my dirty self in and gave a heartfelt meal culpa. Dear little #4 said, "No worries, we can try again next month."

Still, the guilt persists today.

I hope it works out.

Anonymous said...

Disappointment is powerful. I agree with Mrs. G, though, when it doesn't work out, it always does. My life is full of those examples, despite what I want, what actually HAPPENED ended up better when I stepped back to look at the bigger picture.

Still, though, that mother guilt is a tough thing to swallow.

She She said...

I'm so sorry. I think you're better than most, Matron, but even better than mosts make mistakes from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I'm a coward when it comes to admitting my mistakes and therefore would tell it this way IF/when the subject is brought up by others... You used to be #37 on the waiting list and now you're #19.

In the end, it all works out exactly the way it's supposed to.

Anonymous said...

I'm a coward when it comes to admitting my mistakes and therefore would tell it this way IF/when the subject is brought up by others... You used to be #37 on the waiting list and now you're #19.

In the end, it all works out exactly the way it's supposed to.

JessTrev said...

Did Stryker really build that table and chairs? Holy smokes, forget jr high, apprentice him asap. Just kidding. Cause that is how I deal with pain. I am *so sorry* and although I am not an "everything happens for a reason" type of person, I will tell you that from what I have read of your determination and fierce love for those cubs, you will do him right. and i am so sorry! crappity crap. our mistake? well, there's no universal preK in DC, only lottery for a few coveted spots for the school down the block, public though it is. people get up at 5am to go stand in line. us? not so much. we just completely spaced it. we got on the waitlist the next day and then had to spend 6 months *agonizing* about whether or not she'd have a spot at the school, whether we should pony up the huge dollars for some private school program so she wouldn't have to stay at home (forget academics here, my DD had *really* worked on making friends and being social and we could NOT let her efforts go in vain). Ahem. Anyways, it sucked. But she ended up with a spot in the public school. Hope your story ends up with a happy ending too... and don't beat yourself up. We blamed her then-infant brother for our brain fade! "If that kid slept through the night before 12 mos maybe I would have a brain cell or two!"

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Oh, sweetheart. I'm sorry.

Minnesota Matron said...

Thanks, everybody! The pats on the back and similar stories really made me feel a bit better.

dkuroiwa said...

First of all...I'm doing some "catch up" reading of your blog...I do so enjoy your posts and I try to leave them for a time when I can really read (not skim!) and then make a comment that can be understood. On paper, that sounds great...in reality, I let you "build up" in my GoogleREader and now I have 5 posts to read....thank goodness I like your posts or I'd be in big trouble.

okay....yeah...what everyone has said...mothers do things to survive and to keep that sense of "I am in control" with her family...share the secrets here...when it's time and all is right with the world, the secrets will be known...just like they were for us!!

Mary...whatever vibes you want...you got 'em!! coming at ya!!

Angie said...

Okay, I went from laughing at the last post to crying at this one. Only because I feel your pain. I've made mistakes that pale in comparison and still feel like crap about them (I shine my own black ball for myself!).

You are a human. A very, very busy human. Things fall through the cracks and like I'm sure so many other people have said, if it's meant to be, it will happen. Maybe there is something bigger for him on the horizon - you never know.

In the meantime, don't fess up - why make it worse, right?

You're a great mom - hang in there.