Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stereotypically, Matron

The Matron has, upon occasion, been accused of falling into certain Liberal Stereotypes -- you know, the bleeding heart with big biases and assumptions to which she is blind?

Just to keep those folks happy (she's so generous that way!), she occasionally admits to behavior and belief that fall--with staggering perfection --into said Blind Liberal Stereotype category.

So.

The Matron has long harbored a not-so-secret hope that one of her sons is gay!

She imagines all the lunching, shopping and gossiping she could do with an adult gay son, modeled after her very fine experiences with current adult friends, men she can consult on hair, wardrobe and celebrity footwear. A gay adult son would bring his boyfriend over for Sunday dinners and they would take the Matron to the theater, regularly!

She can just see those late night phone conversations and general dishing!

Now, when Stryker was three, he went through a brief dress and tight phase which the Matron heartily encouraged. She made sure there were bright cotton Hanna Anderson leg and dress wear in plentiful supply.

Imagine her disappointment when that phase not only ended, but was remembered with revulsion by her eldest - who gives not the tiniest teeniest indication that he swings toward the non-hetero.

Hope for Merrick was kindled by exactly one of these adult gay male friends! She and this friend, who has a strong psychic flair, went out for Thai food one night when the Matron was newly pregnant with Merrick -- so newly that she hadn't yet taken a test.

(see how much fun the Matron is having with an adult gay man? they are eating Pad Thai and gooey egg rolls, while having heartfelt conversation - about the Matron and her life, feelings and needs!)

The friend said: "Did you know you're pregnant? And it's a boy! Oh, and he's SO gay!"

The Matron felt like someone had just handed her that winning lottery ticket!!! And when Merrick turned out to be a boy, just as predicted, the Matron believed Fate sealed that deal.

Until she started to get to know Merrick.

The baseball playing, knee-scraping, clothes-ruining Merrick has given the Matron not a single indication that he might be gay. She had assumptions (okay, stereotypes) regarding this. For example, she initially anticipated that Merrick would play house and have tea parties. She imagines her future gay adult son would be reading books and painting. Perhaps taking a nature walk?

Instead, he is in a tree. High. And after that? He will be breaking windows or throwing a ball. Merrick wants to know if he can use power tools and ride a Harley.

Then, yesterday, the Matron was pulled aside by one of Merrick's teachers.

Teacher: "I hate to even say anything, because it's so cute. . . but, there have been rumors about Merrick kissing and today, I saw it. It's adorable, but: no kissing in school."

Now, the Matron's older children would never EVER kiss a school friend (would rather be stuffed in body bags, come to think of it) someone so this issue is new to her.

So she had this exchange with Merrick:

Matron: "Merrick, it's great that you love your friends, but you can't kiss them --especially at school."

Merrick: "I know, I know."

Matron: "Who did you kiss?"

Merrick: "Henry."

!

Matron: "Henry? Oh. Anybody else?"

Merrick: "Teddy."

Matron (detecting a pattern): "Hmmm. . . and?"

Merrick: "Gabe."

Hope! Rekindled.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my....there are loads of gay men who are sports fanatics....and then there's me, concerned less with celebrity gossip than the fact that someday, due to my intellectual ability, I'm going to be nothing but a cerebellum in a wheel chair being pushed around by some sort of Einsteinian "nursey".....

Liv said...

hee hee... i used to rejoice in my D loving to vacuum and do his hair. now? not so much. i mean, he just doesn't do it anymore. hope abandoned!

Allmycke said...

Oh but I needed that laugh today! My brother called just as I was halfway through reading your post and I think he was i bit put out that I didn't pay due attention to his vacation plans.

Anonymous said...

Such a funny ending to this story!

Ari_1965 said...

No fighting in school.
No bullying in school.
No failing to appreciate diversity in school.
No cell phones in school.
And now, you tell me, there's no kissing in school.

What's left? Once you've memorized the causes of WWI, there's a lot of time to kill.

Mrs. G. said...

Don't forget about Scarlett. You know how those theatre people are.

Kimberly said...

Is there a male equivalent to the stereotypical lipstick lesbian? A machomosexual?

Minnesota Matron said...

I'll push you around, sweetie. Forget the nursey, you can have the Matron. . .

Anonymous said...

It's a brilliant plan!
My best friend longs for one of her three to be gay...one is showing very encouraging signs!
Whilst we were shopping in Ralph Lauren her boy nipped in between a rack of clothes and reappeared wearing a rather lurid frock - just at the same moment a woman came out of the fitting room wearing the same outfit - her face froze!
I don't think she made a purchase that day!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You have said what I have never dared--we would be such awesome parents of a gay kid. Alas, we definitely have four heterosexuals. I do, however, have a nephew I'm holding out much hope for!

Anonymous said...

heehee, cute!

dkuroiwa said...

This was too funny!!! I guess I had never really thought about the "plus points" of a gay son...I have many gay friends I rely on for things like that so I hadn't pictured a son in that role!!!
My 5-year old and his friends are very into each other's "boy bits"...comparing and such...but I think that's just curiosity...no kissing...yet.

Angie said...

This is too great. From a girl who is best friends with her gay uncle (only 5 years older than me), my secret wish was to have gay boys......only to have all girls......and none of them showing signs of leaning toward girls......trumped again. Damn. Although, in the world of stereotypes, that wouldn't have me lunching and shopping, would it?? haha.

Thanks for the laugh.

Jocelyn said...

We have--really--an astonishing amount in common, not the least of which is the fact that I refer to my lad as "My Fine Gay Son" all the time. When friends who are expecting recently expressed that they hoped for a girl, I advised them that my son is more of a daughter to me than my daughter is.

Go ahead and riddle that one awhile.

Yay, Merrick!

Jennifer S said...

You're funny! This reminded me of that scene in that movie The Family Stone when Sarah Jessica Parker's character asked Diane Keaton, "You don't mean that you actually hoped that your children would be gay?" (something close to that)

I certainly wouldn't mind it.

Anonymous said...

It appears that you weren't hoping for a gay son so much as a girly man. Girly men are so much fun!

Magpie said...

LOL. I may have to send this post to my sister.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Oh but I do love you.

Nora said...

Oh! You must be so proud :-)

Karen Jensen said...

No kissing in school?

I used to have great hopes for my nephew. So far it hasn't happened, but I still have my suspicions.

K. said...

Ha! You are so very awesome! (And so is Merrick, however it works out...)

Ann said...

LOVE this post! Thank you for being comfortable enough in your non-homo-phobia - to the point of also being able to instill some humor into our sometimes gender bending sexuality. And, I was also pleased to see that no one in comments took it the wrong way either. Btw, I lived in Mpls. for 5 yrs, it's where hubby is from - I miss the city, but not those windchills!!! :)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!