Friday, June 13, 2008

The Balanced Marriage, Take 2

The Matron has a scoop!

Check out the cover story of the Sunday New York Times. Times links are tricky, so if this doesn't work, google: Lisa Belkin June 15 When Mom and Dad Share it All.

Remember how the Matron recently moaned about household inequity? Belkin's article continues that conversation, featuring parents striving for bona fide 50/50 in all ways. ThirdPath Institute, sort of a balanced life think tank, is source and guide for their journeys.

Long article, worth your time! The Matron will blog less so you can read more.

And she recognized herself in these pages as more 'gatekeeper' than sanguine partner. Because the Matron? Family and gender roles aside, she plays best with others when SHE is the person in charge.

Here's a lovely mix of optimism and hubris and control. The Matron doesn't run the world yet, but she thinks that feat is still possible. And just that thought is enough to make her happy. . .

5 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

All of these current articles on equity lead me to question why I continue to do most of the housework at Derfwad. I feel a major hissy fit coming on.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Easy, mrs. g - you want to leave your husband plenty of time to make his super secret pasta sauce.

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you run the world. Your minions await you.

Angie said...

From early on in my marriage I quickly learned that 50/50 is a complete myth. My husband is more helpful than most, but we are not even close to 50/50.

Can't wait to read the article - heading there now. Thanks!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'll have to read the article later, but I'm going to say we're pretty close to 50/50 around here. Sometimes I do more, sometimes he does. I credit my MIL and his being the eldest of 5 children.

And control? Would be my middle name.