Thursday, June 5, 2008

The End of the World as We Know It

The Matron still happily hums that tune, from time to time.

And tonight?

John and Stryker are going to this concert!

Free!!

John won tickets from The Current-- which is THE best radio station on the planet and the Matron does not exaggerate, not ever. Nope. You know this, already, right?

Oh, if that isn't enough to rock the Matronly world, the last big ticket at the Xcel Center was this:



Now, at about 6 pm, the Matron had a brilliant and unique idea: "Family! Let's all go downtown and see if we can get in!"

Yes, the Matron and about 30,000 other people, half of whom watched the event on two tremendously huge screens outside the center. Thankfully, Stryker had been monitoring the entire process.

"Mom? Didn't you notice the mile long line when we drove past after school?" Uh, she woulda missed that. "Mom? Did you go online? It's like thousands of people who can't get in already."

So even though they were less than one mile away from all that LOVE they watched the event on TV. But she heard all about it from pumped-up energized friends who made the scene.

(she cried a little during Obama's speech, but don't tell anyone)

Tonight, while John and Stryker rock out, the Matron will be hosting four of Scarlett's friends in a End Of The School Year Sleepover. Apparently, major life events must be marked by snuggling under sleeping bags with best friends.

Lovely. This leaves the Matron alone to protect many many small children--other people's children!-- from the weather and perhaps from the Matron herself! The threat of severe weather or tornado? This morning's public radio projection was more like how bad will it be than will it come.

Considering the Matronly history with severe weather, tonight should be fun!

Or the end of the world as she knows it? And those of you who read the link above understand: she is only half kidding.

Off to make the safe house in the basement.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

And do the parents of those children know the Matron's unfortunate history with weather related disasters? I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Anonymous said...

I have loved REM since I was a wee lass in college, when they still played small venues in small college towns. Ah, REM.

Madge said...

my husband played pool at a bar in athens, ga with michael stipe about 16 years ago.

actually, he thinks he might have been picking up on him......

love REM

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Slumber parties make the girl world go round. Though because I'm a glutton for punishment we usually end up with 20 girls.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Yeah...I think I'd be saying no to any invitations to sleepovers at your place if there was even the threat of a tornado within 10,000 miles of you.

Jennifer S said...

Hope the storm preparation went well (and I hope the storm skips your town). I'm always fumbling around to find the damn candles and the lighter thingy in the dark.

Unknown said...

The matronly weather advice I've read here is what prompted me to turn the weather channel on in the stillness of the humid early morning hours today, just to make sure a tornado wasn't barrelling into town!

I hope you survive the sleepover and the weather tonight, Matron.

Oh, and I saw this link and thought of you today:

http://writingcontests.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/minnesota-writers-fiction-contest/

Unknown said...

Don't know what happened to that link. Here it is again:

http://writingcontests.wordpress.com/
2008/06/05/minnesota-writers-fiction-contest/

Suburban Correspondent said...

Yes, I don't think I would have my kids at your house during tornado season...

The adult parts of Tootsie would probably go over their heads, but then they wouldn't get any of the humor either. I'd wait until 14 or so. Oh, but Bill Murray is so funny in that!

If you tell Blogger to "show your e-mail address" on your Profile page (go to Dashboard, then Edit Profile), I could respond directly to your comments...

Anonymous said...

Hope the storm passes you by, and that the sleepover goes calmly....if not hit the gin!

Nora said...

I want to touch Obama's lacket or any other part of him.

Anonymous said...

I just saw REM at Sasquatch Music Festival, in the rain. Fantastic amazing performance. Much energy and interactive chatter, which adds to the music so much!

Anonymous said...

Have fun in your basement. I loved sleep overs as a child--probably wouldn't now though:) We're due for your weather at 3:00 and that wind is picking UP now! I think I just saw Satan's Familiar blowing by my window!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe I was NOT going to see Obama. If only we didn't have the boy to get ready for the big bike trip and both kids to get to bed at a decent time with it being a school night, and I was/am sick with a nasty virus but like you I wiped a tear or two during that speech.