Friday, June 13, 2008

More on My Success, So Far

Remember (ahem): the Matron is not discontent, ambitious or a tiny burned from her jaunt through big publishing and prestigious award (she's been there unsuccessfully, had that).

Oh no.

Thus so -- she blithely enters a birthday bash for a friend, full of neighbors and new folk. She engages in small talk and happy this and friendly that.

Just as she's moving for more grilled shrimp, the Matronly ear catches from behind: "Yes, my blog did get me a book deal."

Did you know that she has no qualms about interjecting herself in a complete stranger's conversation? BLOOD could not be pumped faster: the Matron has that much information from the blogger, that quick.

The Matron cannot help but note the irony of writing a blog post and immediately leaving for a party to meet a stranger whose blog won her the publishing success that has long eluded the Matron.

Not that she cares or is keeping her own personal scorecard of Success, So Far.

Did you see how the Matron has more comments? Wait! She's not keeping track! really. . . .

11 comments:

Heather said...

I always think I should be more successful than I am too.

I do think that if I ever get my novel on paper and out of my head that it will be good. It's the writing it that's giving me trouble.

But I totally understand the envy.

Suburban Correspondent said...

You need a niche. Or a hook. Your writing is far from generic (of course), but your situation isn't (in a publisher or agent's eyes). Someone was looking for a green blogger, I guess. And talking about murdering your dog didn't strike him/her as green.

But, hey - if I were a publisher, I would certainly give you a book deal.

Manager Mom said...

Hee... we just had a local blogger meetup which was lovely (we're all very different types of bloggers, and all VERY unnoticeable in the grand scheme of things) but even amongst us pals there was definitely a bit of traffic/comment/ad revenue envy... except for me, of course. I am a complete saint who has never experienced jealousy. Ever.

Anonymous said...

It was just her turn for a little good karma is all. Yours will come. I am so looking forward to memoirs of a Stage Mother!

Karen Jensen said...

Oh, Matron, you will so be there.

Anonymous said...

We can't help it. It's that dang competitive streak in us.

Mrs. G. said...

I think you have a book title all ready: Satan's Familiar. I can just see it on the shelves. Just keep building it.

Lynda said...

I am new to your blog, but your writing is great - keep on keeping on... you're going to be even more successful!

Natalie said...

something that i find so interesting is how many blog authors want to be book authors. it is something that has never even occurred to me to strive for. i love to write, but i don't think i am a good enough writer to write a book. i was honestly surprised to find so many "real" writers blogging. i guess it's a great way to hone your craft!

Jocelyn said...

I shall simply and tactfully type, "Hmmm" about the blog that scored the deal. It has a strong angle, I suppose. Easily packaged.

You could feel slighted or insulted if the publishing world made any sense at all.

dkuroiwa said...

Book deal schook deal...pretty soon, the shelves of book stores are going to be line with bloggers' books and very few will be worth buying and reading...why would we when we can read them on their blog?!?!
Personally..I'm with Cheri...a screenplay...yeah...there you go...so much more interesting...I'd pay $18 (or however much a ticket is these days)....the material you have with Scarlett alone would be great...but add the other elements (job, students, other children and dog) and honeeeeeyyy....get busy!!!