Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gone (Horror!) Fishin'

The Matron is not a big fan of nature. Deer? Seen one. Trails? Yup. Hiked a few. Canoe? Um, her feet might get wet.

Give her an espresso or cocktail--say in Paris, New York or even dear little Minneapolis -- on a sidewalk cafe with a book by her side! That's her idea of travel.

Oh, how she sacrifices for these children! Children who adore the Outdoors, who like nothing more than open space and hours to wander through weeds, water, forest, swamp and dirt.

So the Matron is off communing with nature for a few days. Cut off (sob) from the internet.

She'll return here Sunday, clawing her way home and grasping the dirty hot city pavement like a life line.

7 comments:

Maggie C. said...

Haha...when my parents got married, my Mom told my Dad she had just 2 rules...she said, "I'm having 2 kids (if you want anymore, you're on your own)...and I don't camp".

She did. And she never has. And they are still married & in love as ever...

(And on the 2 camping trips my Dad took my sister and I on? I fell off the back of a truck while loading supplies & to this day (+12 years later) have a contusion on my leg from the horrific scrape...and my sister fell into the NH lake we were camping beside, fully clothed, in October. I think my Mom was onto something...)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

We'll be here when you get back. Metaphorically anyway. I'll be communing with nature during the day and hooking back up to the internet every night--the best of both worlds!

Have too much fun.

Anonymous said...

Have fun. Stay away from the ticks.

Daisy said...

Have a great trip! I enjoy camping, actually; I'll channel some of my nature-loving self in your direction.

MJ said...

Through your post, I can almost smell the scent of mosquito spray. Enjoy!

Amy said...

I am going camping. Joys of joy. But I insist on coming down and taking a shower in between. No compromising at all. Have fun!

Jocelyn said...

Where DID you get such children? We make noises about being all nature-y up here...and my husband really is (me, only when I don't have to sleep out in it)...and our kids know how to pretend they love the woods (if it gets them a dollar from Grandma)...but mostly, they want a sprinkler and a lawn and soft mattresses.

I feel for you. You've earned a special urban treat upon your return...